top of page

Tattershall Castle Ghost Hunts

Tattershall Castle
Tattershall, Lincolnshire

OVERVIEW

Tattershall Castle is a Grade I listed red-brick castle with history dating back to the 13th Century. Built by Ralph Cromwell, 3rd Baron Cromwell and Lord Treasurer of England in 1434, the Castle was owned by him and several Kings following his death, including Edward IV, Henry VII and Henry VIII. It was severely damaged during the territory battles of the English Civil War and was left in ruin which attracted romantic couples to visit. Tattershall Castle is currently owned and looked after by the National Trust, but over the years staff and visitors have experienced paranormal activity and ghostly apparitions, including the Castle's most famous ghost the White Lady.

 

What past residents still walk the long hallways and vast empty rooms? Whose energies will be sensed? And what stories do they have to tell?

- EVENT DATES -

HISTORY

- Origins Of Tattershall -

The history of Tattershall goes all the way back to Roman Britannia, but it's prominent history dates back to the early 13th Century. During the reign of King John in 1201 AD, Robert Eudo gifted the King a goshawk which was impressively well-trained. In return, John gave Robert a grant for him to hold a weekly market at Tattershall. 30 years later, Robert Eudo's son, Robert de Tateshale, was granted a license by Henry III to build a stone castle or fortified manor house at Tattershall. The site when finished consisted of many important structures, including a great hall, kitchens, stables, a gatehouse and a chapel, all of which was fortified by a tall curtain wall surrounded by a single moat.

- The Medieval Castle Rebuilt -

At the turn of the 15th Century, Ralph Cromwell, 3rd Baron Cromwell inherited Tattershall Castle. In 1434, Ralph was assigned as Lord Treasurer of England during Henry VI's reign. With his new position, Ralph came to the conclusion that the stone castle at Tattershall wasn't grand enough for someone like him, so he had it demolished and began to rebuild the castle and renovate the site with a new type of material, brick. Bricks at the point in time were a fashionable commodity and rare in medieval England, but Ralph didn't care about the cost, he wanted to give himself status and show that to everyone in the kingdom. Ralph Cromwell was an interesting character who fought alongside Henry V at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, and also served as Chamberlain of the Household twice for Henry VI. Behind the old great hall is where Ralph had the Great Tower built (the Castle we see today), but in order to accommodate this new red-brick building he had his men widen the diameter of the moat, meaning the Castle today stands firm on top of what would've been the original moat. In addition to the Great Tower, he also constructed various other lodgings and buildings within the castle walls, including new kitchens, new stables and a guardhouse.

Tattershall Castle housed over 100 servants, and second outer moat was dug soon after too. Not only was this second moat an extra addition to the Castle's defense, but it was also used with a theatrical purpose. It is said that with a double moat came a second gatehouse that visitors would have to pass through, providing them with another ceremonious welcome as they made their way through. The moats also linked up to the nearby river, allowing easy travel access in and out of the Castle to bring in supplies and armaments.

- Ralph Cromwell's Death & Crown Ownership -

Upon Lord Cromwell's death in 1456, Tattershall Castle passed into the Crown's possession since Ralph had no heir. It was then granted to loyal and familial subjects, including Edward IV, Henry VII, Margaret Beaufort and her grandson Henry VIII.

In 1537 when Henry VIII was continuing his divorce from the Roman Catholic Church in order to pave way for the Church of England, a large protest started in parts of Lincolnshire, which escalated to 40,000 commoners marching towards Lincoln. Henry sent his best friend and later brother-in-law Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk up to Lincoln to squash what was known as the 'Lincolnshire Rising'. When Charles arrived, the majority of these protesters fled. However, he rounded up the rebellious ringleaders of this attempted conflict, tried them and had them executed. As a vote of thanks, Henry gifted Tattershall Castle to Charles and ordered for his immediate relocation there to keep the people of Lincolnshire in check. Charles Brandon lived out the rest of his days at Tattershall, and upon his death he requested to be buried in the nearby Holy Trinity Church. Henry denied his request and instead buried him at much expense at Windsor Castle.

 

Tattershall Castle was then inherited by the Clinton family who became the Earls of Lincoln and lived here for about 120 years.

- English Civil War, Decaying Castle & Romantic Ruin -

In 1643 during the troublesome times of the English Civil War, large parts of Tattershall Castle was destroyed and heavily damaged. A Royalist army led by the Earl of Newcastle swept across Lincolnshire, and upon arrival to Tattershall they attacked the Castle with brunt force, leaving only the Great Tower intact. After Charles I was defeated, tried and executed, Parliament ordered for the demolition of the entire castle site. The Earl of Lincoln appealed to Parliament several times, pleading to spare the Great Tower from destruction. Due to his repeated pleas, Parliament revoked the demolition order and the Great Tower was saved.

When the last Earl of Lincoln died in 1693, the Fortesque family inherited the Castle but never lived there, as they were based down in Devon. Tattershall Castle was left abandoned and gradually went into ruins. The floors had collapsed, the windows were broken and both moats were filled in. The ground floor parlour was used as a cattle shed (so if you hear any phantom moos it's probably those cows). During the next 210 years, the place became a popular tourist destination for amorous couples, who spent many-a-time visiting this romantic ruin.

- Castle Saved & National Trust -

In 1910, the Fortesque family sold Tattershall Castle to an American consortium, and the fireplaces were ripped out and sold on to an American collector. The following year, Reverend Yglesias of the Holy Trinity Church next door contacted Lord Curzon of Kedleston to help save the Castle from further destruction. He acknowledged this cry for help and purchased the Castle. Guided by the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, he reinstated the historic fireplaces and restored the buildings that remained. In August 1914, Lord Curzon opened up the Castle as a visitor attraction, and when he died in 1925, he left Tattershall Castle to be cared for and looked after by the National Trust.

Since that time, Tattershall Castle is still standing tall to this very day thanks to the careful preservation work of the National Trust. Every year it is visited by thousands of people who come to admire the beauty and history of this red-brick fortress. Today it is one of the three most important surviving brick castles of the mid-15th Century in the whole of the UK.

 

In 2024, Brookes Paranormal partnered up with the National Trust to offer members of the general public the amazing opportunity to book on a paranormal investigation event for Halloween 2024. Brookes Paranormal are extremely proud and honoured to have a fantastic working partnership with the National Trust at Tattershall Castle.

GHOSTS & HAUNTINGS